Wip1-deficient mice are resistant to common cancer genes

Harrison, M., Li, J., Degenhardt, Y., Hoey, T., Powers, S. (August 2004) Wip1-deficient mice are resistant to common cancer genes. Trends in Molecular Medicine, 10 (8). pp. 359-361. ISSN 1471-4914

URL: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15310454
DOI: 10.1016/j.molmed.2004.06.010


PPM1D encodes WIP1, a serine-threonine phosphatase that had previously been shown to be the driver oncogene of a 17q23 amplicon that is present in similar to15% of human breast tumors. However, it is unknown whether it has any role in the remaining 85% of breast tumors. A recent study using Wip1-deficient mice revealed that blocking its function significantly impaired RAS and ERBB2-induced breast tumor formation, suggesting that the inhibition of Wip1 could be a broad-spectrum treatment for breast cancer. However, because of the structure of Wip1, the development of small molecule inhibitors is a significant challenge.

Item Type: Paper
Uncontrolled Keywords: COMPARATIVE GENOMIC HYBRIDIZATION comparative genomic hybridisation BREAST-CANCER breast cancer PHOSPHATASE phosphatase WIP1 AMPLIFICATION amplification RADIATION radiation TUMORS tumors PPM1D
Subjects: diseases & disorders > cancer > cancer types > breast cancer
bioinformatics > genomics and proteomics > genetics & nucleic acid processing > DNA, RNA structure, function, modification > genes, structure and function > genes: types > oncogene
bioinformatics > genomics and proteomics > genetics & nucleic acid processing > protein structure, function, modification > protein types > enzymes > protein phosphatase
CSHL Authors:
Communities: CSHL labs > Powers lab
Depositing User: CSHL Librarian
Date: August 2004
Date Deposited: 01 Feb 2012 18:16
Last Modified: 02 May 2013 20:12
Related URLs:
URI: https://repository.cshl.edu/id/eprint/22383

Actions (login required)

Administrator's edit/view item Administrator's edit/view item
CSHL HomeAbout CSHLResearchEducationNews & FeaturesCampus & Public EventsCareersGiving